Sunday, May 25, 2008

Roots and shoots

I love seeing plants send out roots and shoots. Yesterday I was planting some more beans and pulling a few weeds out of the bean bed; I found this little one and only noticed what it was after I had ripped it out.It looks like a peach tree to me. I called the boys over to show them and instead of admiring its beauty, they asked me why I didn't plant it. I like the way the inside bit of the peach pit looks so much like an almond.Anyway, W took it off somewhere and planted it. They come by this honestly as they know that I have such a hard time tossing baby plants in the compost bin. Then when I was planting more cukes I found this.We often have walnut trees springing up and I have no problem ripping them out, but this year, when I actually wanted a walnut tree for a friend, I have had a hard time finding any (I think it is because our dog has done such a good job of eating all the one we didn't pick up). I tucked this one into a pot just in case someone wants it.

1 comment:

Mary-Sue said...

okay, this is just tooooooooo weird! i pulled a shoot out that looks EXACTLY like that today! i thought it WAS an almond!! i replanted it immediately into a pot. i've never seen anything like it, and here you and i find the same thing so close together?
eeery!
thank you so much for digging up the walnut tree for me. i'm babying it down by the pond. SO excited to have a walnut tree!! fun to see this one sprouting too!