Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Mother's Day Bliss

I enjoyed a gorgeous Mother's Day filled with my favourite things - husbandmade waffles for breakfast, a hike in the woods for most of the day, a Hagen Dazs icecream bar, and a delicious dinner. The boys not only indulged me on a long hike but they indulged me when I kept stopping to take endless photos of wildflowers.
I didn't know the name of this nodding flower until we looked it up in our book.  It is called Old Man's Whiskers which I didn't think was a very good name for such a pretty flower until I saw what they  look like when they begin to go to seed.
Loads of chocolate lilies everywhere.
It was so nice to see all these wild flowers in this burned out area, this is where the huge forest fires were in 2003.
I found a tiny patch of miner's lettuce growing from under this log.
The view from up high.  The new bridge is just a speck in the distance.
And we had a laugh at this sign near the end of our hike.  Wouldn't it be a fun job to do the drawings for these signs?
Thankfully no trees fell on us and we had a wonderful day.  I hope you had a wonderful day too.

5 comments:

Erin said...

Oh, those flowers are gorgeous! When I discover new (or familiar) flowers on walks and hikes I'm simply overcome with joy. It's like I've discovered a pot of gold! They are bringing the burnt forest back to life...producing seeds for the birds who come to dine, who then deposit other seeds to grow, and on it goes...

So glad your day was just what you love!! :-) Your (3) boys are all so sweet.

bunchofbeets said...

Oh, I love miner's lettuce! So delicious. My CSA usually has it in the spring, and it's always a treat before other greens get up and growing.

Stacy said...

LOVE the sign! I have a new dream job now.

Beautiful pics and it sounds like a wonderful mom's day.

Homesteadgirl said...

Heehee! I have a picture of a moose-warning sign from Newfoundland...car all crushed up, moose looking gigantic and threatening. I've never seen the tree falling one, though. I must design a "chicken poop" warning sign for visitors to our farm...

sheila said...

I love signs like that. I find it comforting that the world is sometimes so nonsensical.


gre-mop - there! a sign that I should never use a mop again. It's gre!