Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Fox and Geese, Birthdays and Boxes

For many years, whenever I was in the midst of something trying or difficult, I would think to myself -once I get through this then...fill in the blank with -  all will be well, life will be wonderful, I will be happy,  life will get back to normal, etc.  At some point I realized that there was, what I now call " always something" going on and that that actually was life.  Life wasn't meant to be day after day of ease and calm, that life was full of struggles, difficulties, challenges AS WELL AS beauty, peace, calm, joy and delight.  That they could happen at the same time.  That this Yin and Yang actually served me very well and helped me to grow and appreciate life - all of life, even the struggles.

The last two years have been filled with quite a bit of change and uncertainty for our family.  We've learned many valuable lessons from this time...and, I think, we are about to learn more. ;-) The house we have been living in has sold and it is time for us to move on.  I've been packing up boxes and taking this time to do some more decluttering.  We're looking for a new home to tide us over until we get our farm but just now we have no idea where we'll be living in less than two months- quite a stretching lesson for a home-loving person like myself.  Some months ago I came across a quote that really spoke to me.  I wrote it down in my quote book and thought it would be fun to share here.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass; it is about learning to dance in the rain.

Isn't that gorgeous?  And so we have been busy dancing in this latest rain storm...or more accurately - skiing, snowshoeing, snowboarding, playing games,
(Fox and Geese Game with my folks during a visit to their place on the weekend)

celebrating birthdays, enjoying daily walks,
eating delicious pumpkin bars (with the dual purpose of using up pumpkin from the freezer in preparation for moving and they use up chocolate too!!),
along with some of the practicalities of a move such as packing - and these are just our books (dare I admit - not even all of them!)
And whenever these rains start to feel a bit overwhelming the gardener in me gently reminds myself that nothing grows well or thrives without a little rain.  I hope you're able to dance in the rain as well.

15 comments:

sheila said...

I'm going to cross my fingers that this particular storm passes quickly for you, Heather.

NATIZ: How David Tennant would say "I'm nae tease" (in his Scots accent) to all us Doctor Who fan(atic)s.

Anonymous said...

Such a daunting prospect moving homes, I hope it all works out for you xx

Mary-Sue said...

oooh, lovely, H! so long as it doesn't turn to freezing rain you'll be alright ;o) NOTHING you can't handle. love your attitude, very inspiring! ((((hug))))

Anonymous said...

I am familiar with that quote too. Love it.

And books - wow. We too have a lot. So, so many. Sometimes I think they are the hardest part of the moving. So heavy. :)

Sending love your way, Heather. I hope the sun shines brightly on you and yours as you move closer to this big moment in time. xo

bunchofbeets said...

At least you have such a wonderful perspective about everything!

Lise said...

Love the quote; it went right into my journal. Something I need to remember right now.

And thanks for naming the "fox and geese" game. I remember making that shape in the snow as a child, but could never remember the game to go with it! Now I can look it up.

daisy g said...

Yes, without the storms, we wouldn't have the calmness afterward. Best wishes on your upcoming move. It's all good...

sheepish said...

Wow. This is the perfect post for me to read right now. Thank you.

City Sister said...

I love the quote...I need to learn that myself, it is quite a lesson to learn.

Norma said...

Take heart, it always works out. Hang in there.

Teri @ Love From the Farm said...

Best of luck in your search for an interim home...I can't wait until you begin telling us of your long-awaited farm! ;) Cheers! Teri

allison said...

Faith and rain and dancing. There's a wonderful saying about faith being the bird that sings before the dawn has broken, or some such. But anyway, faith and rain dancing. Thanks for sharing it all. We're dancing with you.

Erin said...

Aaah, more stretching. I suspect with your infinite and boundless ability to move through challenges with ease and grace that there will be silver linings and much goodness to be found. :-)

Packing sounds heavy...glad you have strong arms around you (figuratively and literally) to help carry and share the weight.

You are getting closer...to your beloved one-day farm and I think this will be an exciting journey, a part of the path not yet explored.

Many wishes of goodness sent your way :-)

~Erin xo

Unknown said...

I have been packing books as well. Trying to balance out the heavy books with the lighter puzzles so they wont be to heavy. But look at all your boxes of books what a blessing. I bet they all are a cherished gift.

Emma said...

What a beautiful piece of writing, enjoy your rain dancing!